Trebinje is the southernmost city in Bosnia and Herzegovina, just 28km from the famous city of Dubrovnik across the hills in Croatia. Trebinje ranks with Mostar in terms of beauty and, fortunately, was not heavily damaged during the war, leaving its old town intact. The Old Town of Trebinje was established in the 18th century and soon developed into a trading & crafts centre named Kastel.
Trebinje lines the banks of the Trebisnjica River that flows through the heart of the city and had always been known for the enormous old mills along it. Although they are not fully functional today, they remain a symbol of Herzegovina's not-so-distant past when everything was directly connected to the power of nature. In Trebinje, that power of nature was bigger before the river was curtailed by the Grancarevo dam, some 15 km north-east from Trebinje. This dam was destined to swallow the Arslanagic Bridge, so to save this beautiful example of Ottoman stone bridge building it was taken, stone by stone, from a village seven kilometres up the river, and rebuilt in central Trebinje.
Klobuk is the large fortress in Trebinje. It is assumed to date from the 9th century and is believed that the Slovenian princes of Krajina – Pavlimir and Tesimir were buried here. Since the 12th century it controlled the Nemanjic region until, in 1377, Klobuk became part of the expanded Bosnian state.
Places of Interest in Trebinje and nearby:
- Hercegovacka Gracanica – situated on Crkvina hill above the town of Trebinje and built to grant a wish of a famous poet from Trebinje, Jovan Ducic. So, in the year 2000, his remains were returned from the USA to his homeland, actually, as the poet had wished, to Hercegovacka Gracanica, clearly visible from any spot in Trebinje. It is one of the most attractive sacred buildings in Eastern Herzegovina.
- Cathedral (Orthodox) – Orthodox Church of Saint Transfiguration, built at the beginning of the 20th century is located in the very centre of the town adjoining the archdiocese with a library.
- Cathedral (Catholic) - built at the end of the 19th century to honour the Blessed Virgin Mary, and proclaimed a cathedral in 1984, the church is situated in the very centre of town.
- Osman Pasha Mosque - located in the Old Town, in the vicinity of the main gate and the town walls, the mosque was built in 1726 as an endowment of Osman Pasha Resulbegovic.
- The Museum of Herzegovina - an Austrian army barracks built at the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century on the foundations of a Roman, medieval and Turkish settlement in the old town currently houses the Museum of Herzegovina, permanently having on display several collections of archeological finds, ethnographic artifacts and the legacy of Jovan Ducic.
- The Bridge of Asrlanagic – there are a few attractive bridges over the Trebisnjica river, the most famous of which is Perovic-Arslanagic Bridge, built by Mehmed Pasha Sokolovic in the second half of the 16th century (1574).
- The Old Town (Kastel) - built on the river bank at the beginning of the 18th century. The existing old town has grown out of the former handicraft trade centre.
- The Wine Road - Herzegovina is a region rich in grapevine and small vineyards, the most famous of which are the WINE CELLARS OF TVRDOS MONASTERY. The monks have taken care of the grapevine in the fields of Trebinje and Popovo. Using a traditional technology of wine making, the current monastery vineyard makes red dry wine ‘Vranac’, white wine and grape brandy.
- Tvrdos Monastery - built in the 13th century on the fourth-century church foundations, visible through the glass floor, the monastery has been dedicated to the Ascension of the Blessed Virgin Mary and is one of the most significant monasteries in the Republic of Srpska. In the first half of the 16th century the Monastery housed the largest collection of scriptural texts, which made it a cultural and spiritual center of the region at that time.
- St Vasilije of Tvrdos & Ostrog Church in Mrkonjici - the village of Mrkonjici, situated in the eastern side of Popovo polje on the Trebinje-Ljubinje road, is a small village where Holy Father Vasilije of Ostrog was born on 28th December in 1610. The Temple of Saint Vasilije of Tvrdos and Ostrog the Wonderworker was sanctified in the village on 12th May, 1998 and dedicated to Saint Vasilije. The temple was erected on the foundations of the birth house of the great God’s indulger and is situated on the right side of the road coming from Trebinje.
- Duzi Monastery (16th Century) - situated on the left bank of the Trebisnjica river, 7 km downstream of Trebinje, is known as a place which houses a remnant of the True Cross.
- St Apostles Peter & Paul's Monastery - situated 4kms south-westwards from Trebinje, by oral tradition, originated during Apostle Paul’s missionary journey through Dalmatia. The Commission for Preserving National Heritage proclaimed Peter-Paul’s Monastery the national heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2003.
- Paul's Cave – one of the prehistoric localities, 2 kilometers far from Peter-Paul’s Monastery. By an ancient oral tradition, Apostle Paul used to come and baptize the then people in this cave, which was later named after him.
- Dobricevo Monastery – Tsar Konstantin and the Nemanjics are said to have founded the monastery. The sources first mention the monastery in the 17th century, although many elements prove its earlier existence.
- Zavala Monastery (13th century) - Zavala Monastery has been constructed at the edge of Popovo polje (field), at the foot of Mount Ostrog. By the national oral tradition, the origins of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church are connected with the first Christian tsar Konstantin.
We look forward to being of service.